Volunteering at the Zoo
Would you be interested in donating some of your spare time to help out at the zoo. You will meet new people as well as learning new skills in the care of animals.
If you would like to apply to become a volunteer here at the zoo we will provide all the necessary training for your volunteer role. All we expect from you is that you turn up with a smile and a willingness to work hard.
Types of activities you might take part in while you are volunteering:
- Helping the keepers look after the animals
- Preparing feed for the animals
- Maintaining the grounds – including sweeping, weeding etc.
- Helping the hosts look after our guests, helping handle the animals in the PETALZ barn
- Helping our education team with encounters, handling Shetlands, goats and donkeys
- Helping with school trips
- Conservation awareness days
Things to consider:
- We require a minimum commitment of one day per month
- Volunteers must be 16 years of age or older – there is no upper age limit
- We cannot pay travel expenses - please apply only if you live within easy travelling distance of the Zoo
- You must provide your own steel toe capped boots and a pair of dark blue or black overalls
- Volunteers are mostly needed on weekends and school holidays, but sometimes we can offer weekday volunteering
- All volunteers are required to carry out a DBS check prior to starting their volunteering
Please Note: DBS checks can take up to 8 weeks to process.
You will be invited to attend an introductory session prior to starting your volunteering. We will let you know when the next session is for you to attend once we receive your application form.
Since I've been volunteering at Kirkley Hall Zoological Gardens I have gained so much knowledge looking after all the animals and have met some great people. I really enjoy coming to volunteer every time I get chance to. (Alex, Bedlington).
How to apply
If you would like to apply then please read the booklet below which explains the application process. Please print and complete the application form and confidential medical questionnaire also found below and return to email@example.com